BIO DRAIN 4.4 LB – 2 KG
Terrarium Draining Substrate
Exo Terra BioDrain Terrarium Draining Substrate is a natural, nonorganic substrate that allows excellent drainage of the terrarium. It will not rot or decompose like other natural substrates. The optional BioDrain Terrarium Draining Mesh will keep the BioDrain Terrarium Draining Substrate separated from the decorative terrarium top-layer substrate and prevent the different substrates from mixing and contaminating the water. The BioDrain Terrarium Draining Substrate will function as a biological filtration system. The clean terrarium water can then be circulated in waterfalls or Dripping Plants. Use Bio Clean (formally known as Biotize) to speed up biological filtration capabilities.
How to install Bio Drain
An example of a layered substrate in the terrarium using the Exo Terra Bio Drain Substrate and Bio Drain Mesh:
- Place the Natural Terrarium on an even surface and clean the waterproof bottom part.
- Wash the Bio Drain Terrarium Draining Substrate thoroughly and spread it evenly in the terrarium.
- Create a water part by removing substrate in the desired location.
- Cover the Terrarium Draining Substrate with Bio Drain Terrarium Mesh, and separate the water section with moss, bark or rocks…
- Add a biological substrate like Plantation Soil on the terrestrial (land) area.
- Plant your live plants, mosses & ferns and cover the top soil layer with leaf litter.
- Live plants provide shelter, retain moisture and yield nutrients for various organisms but they also absorb ammonium and nitrates in the soil.
- Add an aquatic substrate like Turtle Pebbles or Riverbed Sand to the water part and add water.
Since both the BioDrain Mesh and Substrate are non-organic, they will not rot or decompose.
Use Turtle Clean (PT1998 or PT1999) to add beneficial organisms to the terrarium water and speed up biological filtration capabilities.
Exo Terra Plantation Soil, Terrarium Moss, Jungle Earth, etc. can be used as decorative top-layer substrate.
For larger terrarium surfaces (e.g. Natural Terrarium PT2613, PT2614 or PT2609) combine multiple pieces of BioDrain Terrarium Draining Mesh.
- Natural, non-decomposable substrate
- Creates a water drainage system
- Ideal for tropical terrariums & paludariums